Nutty Vegetable Stew – A Recipe For Superior Health
Nutty Vegetable Stew
- 2 T vegetable oil (olive, sesame, sunflower, etc.)
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 4 large cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4 large carrots (grated)
- 1 C broccoli (chopped)
- 3 (15 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes with liquid (low salt variety)
- 8 cups of water
- 2 T VegeBase
- 1/2 C sunflower seeds
- 1/2 C peanuts
- 2/3 C uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 C uncooked pearled barley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chile powder, optional
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder, optional
Process sunflower seeds and peanuts in food processor until you have a crunchy butter. Set aside. Heat oil in a large pan, add onions, and cook until lightly browned and tender. Stir in garlic when nearly done to avoid burning. Set aside. Boil water and stir in VegeBase. Add seed/nut butter, onions/garlic, and all remaining ingredients to pot and simmer on a low heat for at least 1 hour.
This is the longest and most complicated recipe I’ve posted to date, but it is worth it! This nutty vegetable stew is absolutely delicious, and very satisfying on a cool autumn night. I guarantee everyone will love it!
I would recommend going lightly on the chile and chipotle if you are going to serve to children. For variety, try substituting spinach for the broccoli, or using walnuts and flax seed instead of the peanuts and sunflower seeds. Let me know what you come up with. Be creative and enjoy!